As employee #1 at this early stage startup, I worked across the full product lifecycle and helped grow the company from $0-$10k MRR by digging deep to understand our customers’ problems and working with our small, but dedicated team to deliver solutions that were truly appreciated by our customers.
My role at Finger-Ink shifted drastically during my time there – from a full-stack mobile developer who loved the visual and interaction design elements the most and who was always curious about why we were building the things we were building to a product-designer-in-the-making learning first hand about what’s really involved in being customer-focused and designing products that truly solve customer needs and pain points (I’ll give you a hint: it starts with understanding the root problem first 😉).
Some of the main areas I played a key role in include:
- conducting customer interviews and continous discovery efforts
- solving a wide variety of product design problems, from brand new features to improvements to existing ones
- our product’s Information Architecture and key User Flows
- wireframing & prototyping as a way to test ideas early with our customers
- UX microcopy
- working towards product/market fit through a customer-focused lens
- assisting with prioritising the product roadmap
- assisting with key decision making around product strategy to achieve overall business goals
Being such a small team designing a global SaaS product, there was a lot of ambiguity and no two days were the same. Being able to adapt was essential and I feel so grateful for the opportunity to receive such a breadth of experience.